Gluten free – Dairy free – Vegan (option) – Guilt FREE.
My girlfriend Tiffany gave me this recipe after she made me this cake for my birthday this year. I don’t know how I lived 23 years without it! It is moist, delicious, chocolatey AND healthy. Seriously, what person doesn’t want to eat a cake that is actually good for them?
I recently made this for my mom’s birthday and it was a huge hit! My dad even liked it….. and if you know him, you know it’s pretty hard (impossible) to introduce him to new food. Needless to say this cake is divine and even the pickiest eaters will be scraping their plate clean!
(If anyone knows my dad please do not tell him there is quinoa in it or that it was healthy!)
Chocolate Cake Recipe
Chocolate Cake ingredients:
2/3 cup quinoa
1 1/3 cup water
1/3 cup almond milk
4 large eggs OR egg substitute**
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup coconut oil, melted & cooled
1 1/2 cup sugar (coconut sugar is a bit better if you’re looking for an alternative)
1 cup cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Chocolate Cake Directions:
• Rinse quinoa before cooking, it will take away the bitterness.
• Bring quinoa and water to a boil. Cover, cook for 10 mins. Turn off heat and leave for 10 minutes. Fluff with fork and let cool.
• Preheat oven to 350°
• Grease 2 8″ round cake pans with parchment paper (I have used only 1 pan)
• In blender combine milk, eggs & vanilla. Add 2 cups of cooked quinoa & melted coconut oil and blend until smooth.
• Add sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt to blender.
• Mix well, pour into pans
• Bake 30-40mins and use toothpick to see if cake is cooked through.
**You can make this cake recipe vegan by adding chia seeds instead of eggs:
1 tbsp chia seeds & 3 tbsp water replaces 1 egg.
I absolutely l o v e fruit (I did through my whole pregnancy) and when I found this recipe I put it on everything I could!! I used it as jam, waffle topping, cake topping… anything!
Raspberry Sauce Ingredients:
• 2 1/2 cups raspberries
• 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 2 tbsp cold water
• 2 tbsp cornstarch
You can add 1/3 cup sugar or preferably raw honey to the raspberries when cooking if you need the extra sweetness but I love the natural sweet and tartness to it!
Raspberry Sauce Directions:
• Cook the raspberries and lemon juice in a pot for 5-7 minutes until the raspberries start to break down, make sure to stir often.
• In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and cold water then add to the raspberry sauce.
• Cook for 30-60 seconds, until thickened.
• Let cool and store in fridge.
Coconut Whip Cream:
Coconut Whip Cream Ingredients:
• 1 can coconut milk, chilled
• Maple syrup or 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (or both!)
Coconut Whip Cream Directions:
• You want to make sure the can of coconut milk has been chilled (in fridge) for a few hours. That will allow the milk to separate and you will use the top layer (cream)
• Whip to your desired consistency
• Add maple syrup to taste or pure vanilla extract
• Whip till it is evenly mixed in.
Enjoy a piece… or two! ♥